PHIL 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Cartesian Coordinate System, Aristotelian Physics, Classical Mechanics

33 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor
Med 1: Scepticism
Med 2: I exist
Med 3: God exists
So whatever I clearly and distinctly perceive to be true, is true.
God is not a deceiver, therefore I can trust my senses.
Med 4: (Yes, I am unable to avoid all mistakes) Errors of judgement depend on will - it is
possible to never make a mistake if you reign in your will to jump to conclusions
Med 5: Skip
Med 6: Material objects exist. [Souls and minds exist as well]
Epistemology - branch of philosophy that studies knowledge
What do we know?
What can we figure out?
Theory of Knowledge
Med 6: The argument for material objects
Material objects exist
There are souls and they are immaterial, but they do exist (comparable to the mind)
Objects must have everything that I clearly and distinctly understand them to have, but
they may not appear as I perceive them - in this way I can be certain they exist
Descartes cannot prove the existence of material objects without having established that
God exists first.
Argument
Premise 1: I have clear and distinct perceptions of material objects
Premise 2: If there were no material objects, God would be a deceiver (contradiction).
Conclusion: Hence, material objects exist.
Descartes
Philosophy is like a tree (back then all knowledge was categorized under philosophy)
Roots are the foundation - metaphysics the ultimate foundations of your knowledge point
Trunk is physics, second most important
Branches are all the different sciences, 3 in particular
Medicine, mechanics, morals (ethical philosophy)
You have to start at the roots and gain knowledge to get to the branches
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

So whatever i clearly and distinctly perceive to be true, is true. God is not a deceiver, therefore i can trust my senses. Med 4: (yes, i am unable to avoid all mistakes) errors of judgement depend on will - it is possible to never make a mistake if you reign in your will to jump to conclusions. Epistemology - branch of philosophy that studies knowledge. There are souls and they are immaterial, but they do exist (comparable to the mind) Objects must have everything that i clearly and distinctly understand them to have, but they may not appear as i perceive them - in this way i can be certain they exist. Descartes cannot prove the existence of material objects without having established that. Premise 1: i have clear and distinct perceptions of material objects. Premise 2: if there were no material objects, god would be a deceiver (contradiction).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers