Philosophy
Course
PHIL 120
Professor
Leslie Burkholder
Semester
Summer

Description
Week 6: Chapter 12 Section 2 and 3 (Hidden Conclusions & Hidden Premises) HIDDEN CONCLUSION - “Abbreviated” arguments are arguments that depend on premise and/or conclusion that are not explicitly stated - An argument is said to have a hidden conclusion when its premises propose a conclusion that is left unstated. - The argument may contain some indication that the arguer is offering reasons for accepting the conclusion  I sort of think that the hidden premise may function to provide a justification for the conclusion - Example: I think there is enough evidence to justify a reasonable conclusion. In the vast majority of cases that have been examined, wearing seatbelts has prevented injuries that would have resulted from automobile accidents. And these cases appear to vastly outnumber the relatively few cases in which people have avoided injury because they were not wearing seatbelts and were thrown clear of a vehicle. P1: wearing seatbelts has prevented injuries that would have resulted from automobile accidents. P2: these cases appear to vastly outnumber the relatively few cases in which people have avoided injury because they were not wearing seatbelts and were thrown clear of a vehicle. C: there is enough evidence
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 120

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit