Spring 2018

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 335
Professor
Kelin Emmett
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
YOUNG’S FIVE FACES OF OPPRESSION
1. Exploitation
2. Marginalization
3. Powerlessness
4. Cultural imperialism
5. Violence
Cannot give a single definition of oppression. There is a family of concepts that apply to
conditions of people who tend to find themselves oppressed.
- Thinks that more or less, she has come up with these categories of oppression, where
by thinking through and reflecting upon these claims…
- So she thinks this is more or less, systematic, and exhaustive (the fifth one, violence)
What does she mean by each category?
-Exploitation: taking more or less marxist paradigm, and extending it. Does not just
mean extraction of labour process, but also transferring your labour power to other
people.
- For example, women’s labour, transferring to men through children, for men to
work.
-Marginalization: exclusion of people from participating in the labour market.
- She thinks this is the most dangerous form of oppression. WHY? Because it
results in people participating in other markets; illegal things. Neglect market,
black market… They are put in a situation of neglect, dangerous situation,
because they’re going to be exceptionally vulnerable and lack in many bases of
social respect and recognition.
- In many cases, marginalization puts people susceptible to genocide…
-Powerlessness: people DO fall into certain classes, according to Marx, which she
agrees with.
- Significant difference between middle and working class
- Both are exploited, and work for upper class.
- But
- Professionals oriented towards ascention, moving up in the world, but
nonprofessionals more or less are not acquiring these skills… in all of these
areas of life, the professionals are going to have more command, more
respectability. The professionals will be in a suit, at a bank, applying for a
mortgage, will be able to express self in a way that commands authority,
respect.. Where non-professionals look more awkward, come off more
awkward…
-Cultural Imperialism: stereotyping, invisible
- How the dominant culture is interpreting other cultures in the media, in cultural
light…
- Orientalism…?
- We THINk that this is the universal perspective, and do not recognize that it is
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
YOUNGS FIVE FACES OF OPPRESSION 1. Exploitation 2. Marginalization 3. Powerlessness 4. Cultural imperialism 5. Violence Cannot give a single definition of oppression. There is a family of concepts that apply to conditions of people who tend to find themselves oppressed. Thinks that more or less, she has come up with these categories of oppression, where by thinking through and reflecting upon these claims So she thinks this is more or less, systematic, and exhaustive (the fifth one, violence) What does she mean by each category? Exploitation: taking more or less marxist paradigm, and extending it. Does not just mean extraction of labour process, but also transferring your labour power to other people. For example, womens labour, transferring to men through children, for men to work. Marginalization: exclusion of people from participating in the labour market. She thinks this is the most dangerous form of oppression. WHY? Because it results in people participating in other markets; illegal things. Neglect market, black market They are put in a situation of neglect, dangerous situation, because theyre going to be exceptionally vulnerable and lack in many bases of social respect and recognition. In many cases, marginalization puts people susceptible to genocide Powerlessness: people DO fall into certain classes, according to Marx, which she agrees with. Significant difference between middle and working class Both are exploited, and work for upper class. But Professionals oriented towards ascention, moving up in the world, but nonprofessionals more or less are not acquiring these skills in all of these areas of life, the professionals are going to have more command, more respectability. The professionals will be in a suit, at a bank, applying for a mortgage, will be able to express self in a way that commands authority, respect.. Where nonprofessionals look more awkward, come off more awkward Cultural Imperialism: stereotyping, invisible How the dominant culture is interpreting other cultures in the media, in cultural light Orientalism? We THINk that this is the universal perspective, and do not recognize that it is
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit