Political Science
Course
POLI 100
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
3 Conceptions of Politics I. Aristotle, Politics, Book I A. Basic of human associations • families and villages –> “mere life” • The polis – “the good life” {Slide two} Aristotle Quote 1: When several villages are united in a single complete community, large enough to be nearly or quite self-sufficing, the state [polis] comes into existence, originating in the bare needs of life, and continuing in existence for the sake of the good life. And therefore, if the earlier forms of society are natural, so is the state, for it is the end of them, and the nature of the thing is its end(Politics, 1252b28-33, emphasis added). {slide 3} B. People are “by nature a political animals.” He explains: Quote 2: That man is more of a political animal than bees or any other gregarious animals is evident. Nature, as we often say, make nothing in vain, and man is the only animal who has the gift of speech. And whereas mere voice is but an indication of pleasure or pain,
More Less

Related notes for POLI 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit