Canada (492,428)
POLI 100 (160)
All (5)

5 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
Political Science
POLI 100

Poli 100, Jan. 2005 – Lecture 2 & 3 Power, Justice, and Politics – Classical views I. General points:  Theme of the course: the relationship between justice and power in politics.  What is justice? How does it relate to other evaluative concepts in politics? II. Plato The Republic, Book I. A. Brief background. B. Socrates/ Thrasymachus debate – climax of Bk. I.  Socrates (Plato) & Simonides: “that it is just to give each what is owed to him” (p. 6, 331e).  Surely, Socrates (Plato) is right, in a way….  The Greek terms: “dikaios” and “dikaioisune”  Plato conceives politics in terms of ruling and ruling well.  It’s a “techne.”  Thrasymachus (I): “justice is nothing other than the advantage of the stronger” (p. 14, 338c)  Surely, Thrasymachus is not quite right:….   Yet … Thrasymachus says (quote): 1 “Don’t you know that some cities are ruled by a tyranny, some by a democracy, and some by an aristocracy.” … “And each makes laws to its own advantage. Democracy makes democratic laws, tyranny makes tyrannical laws, and so on with the others. And they declare what they have made – what is to their own advantage – to be just for their subjects, and they punish anyone who goes against this as lawless and unjust” (pp. 14-15, 338 d-e).   Perhaps both (Socrates/ Thrasymachus) are right, in part….   Thrasymachus (II): that injustice is more profitable than justice (pp. 23-24, 347-348) . III. Confucius, The Analects. A. Backround:  Chinese philosopher and moralist, 551 BCE-479 BCE. B. Basic points: Similar to Plato (and different than Machiavelli) regarding virtue and ruling: Confucius (Ch. I, quote): “He who governs by his moral excellence may be compared to the pole-star, which abides in its place, while all the stars bow towards it” (p. 5). Confucius (Ch. III, quote): “1. … If you govern the people by laws, and keep them in order by penalties, they will avoid penalties, yet lose their sense of shame. 2. But 2 if you govern them by your moral excellence, and keep them in order by your dutiful conduct, they will retain their sense of shame, and also live up to this standard” (p. 5). IV. Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince A. Backround: Machiavelli (1469-1527) was a republican civic humanist; identified a distinctive morality for politics (princely rule in particular), but actually favored republican rule. B. Basic points:  “maintaining the state”:  Two kinds of p
More Less

Related notes for POLI 100

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.