Psychology
Course
PSYC 208
Professor
Maria Weatherby
Semester
Fall

Description
Distinguishing Between Key Terms related to Sex and Gender (Ch. 8 – 1 of 3) ________________________________________________________________________________________ I. In-Class Video: Sex, Lies and Gender (National Geographic, 2009) A. Circle your level of agreement to the THREE statements below (prior to the video). 1. Sex and gender are binary categories (i.e., there are only two, mutually exclusive options). Strongly agree Somewhat agree Somewhat disagree Strongly disagree I don’t know 2. Psychological wellness is more likely when an individual’s gender identity is congruent with their biological sex. Strongly agree Somewhat agree Somewhat disagree Strongly disagree I don’t know 3. An individual’s gender identity is related to their sexual identity (i.e., sexual orientation) Strongly agree Somewhat agree Somewhat disagree Strongly disagree I don’t know B. Definitions of Key Terms 1. Sex – the classification of people as male or female at birth, based on bodily characteristics such as chromosomes, hormones, internal reproductive organs, and genitalia. If an individual cannot be classified as a male or female at birth, the sex of this individual is referred to as intersex. - Biological 2. Gender - socially defined/constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate or “proper” for men and for women. In most societies, gender consists of two binary categories: masculine and feminine. Why is the sex and gender distinction important? - How we explain differences in behavior and whether it is biological or social, cultural, historical explanation o Sex – biological explanation – body mass, brain development, o Gender – socializing children, raising girls different from boys, gender roles, preference for sports - Explanations – Assumption  is it natural? Or socially constructed? - Gender inequality – unequal opportunity, rights  gender norms, gender roles 3. Gender-identity – one's internal, personal sense of being a man or woman. - Determined by our mind - Psychology - Attitude, values 1 Gender-Identity is divided into two distinct aspects: (a) core gender identity, and (b) gender-role identity. (a) Core gender identity – does an individual identify as a boy/man or girl/woman? Individuals typically solidify their core gender identity by three years of age. Core gender identity is closely tied to one’s biological sex; it is typically conceptualized as a binary category; it is typically a permanent, immutable and stable part of our personal identity. What if our ‘core gender identity’ is the opposite of our biological sex? - transgender Some believe that transgender people have a psychiatric illness. However, gender-identity disorder characterizes individuals who express discontentment with the sex/gender they have been assigned. In February 2010, France became the first country in the world to remove transgender identity from the list of mental diseases. The terms gender variant, genderqueer and pangender are recent attempts to describe a person’s sex/gender
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 208

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit