COgnitive processing.docx

5 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 309
Professor
Michael Souza

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Locked in syndrome:
Severe brain stem damage, completely conscious but you can’t move anything except your eyes.
Improving athletic performance: maybe mental practice and visualizing that you can do
something can improve performance.
Its often the case that there is sudden decline with age that affects memory. This is normal
products of aging.
Learning how to speed people along. Some ppl have a better memory that somebody else. But
what about the people that are struggling, maybe we can build things that can help with these.
Cognitive psyc:
3 steps for psyc:
o Absorning: taking info in
o Processing: recognize objects and use mental computations to make decisions
o Responding: make a decision and take a course of action
The big challenge:
o Stimulus to brain. Brian to response
Method of inquiry:
Introspection looks inside ourselves. Active process to try to understand how a mental process
happens.
What’s that cascade of events that happened that allows this to occur.
Limitions:
o difficult to verify someone else’s report
o not always aware
o end product of the process and not only the process itself.
Another way to look at this is behaviorism. Studying the mind is hard, what we can study is the
stimulus and response that occurs. The reaction is what is important, but not the middle
process.
The mind is unobservable
Behaviors can account for creativity and the learning of language.
Limiting science to only the observable is a bad idea. Its important to look at people’s behavior
but not thinking about the middle step is not good.
Cognativism
o The brain is the hardware and the mind is the software.
o Input(sensory)
o Processes (computations)
o Output
Cybernetics: the idea of creating a neural network to understand a system. It tries to capture
how the mind works. It’s a computer model that captures the complexity of how we process the
information.
Theory of comutation: when involves with computers, can take a big math problem and solve it
within seconds.
SNARC- artificial neural network:
Current approach:
All these mental processes, how are they happening in the brain, how are different regions
hooked up and how they talk to each other. physiology
In search of the mind:
First thought that the heart gives rise to the mind. This was obviously wrong. It seems to be the
brain.
When ppl damage different parts of the brain, different problems came about. He made a link
looking at a brain injury.
Descartes:
o His approach was through rationalism.
o Reflexes: important for neurological and motor health. For a reflex in the knee, the
signal goes from knee to spine to knee. With reflexes, you don’t need the pain. The
brain can put the brake on reflexes.
o Disconnecting brain from spine, the reflex is stronger. Descartes was wrong
o The idea of dualism: the relationship between the brain and the mind.
o Monoism: the brain gives rise to the mind, what the brain does is what the mind is.
The pineal gland: tiny gland in the brain, the only place in the brain that isn’t on both sides.
Important for the day night cycle.
Hoe Is the brain organized:
Materialism:
o Same as monoism: the entire brain works together and there is no specialization.
o Gall: phrenology
Felt the skull and thought that if certain brain regions are more developed, then
its more specialized that the others.
Localization of function: one way to study how the different parts of the brain is
functioning is by seeing the change after that part is injured.
The father of neuropsychology is ALEXANDER LURIA
he thought of networks. A better way of thinking abut thins is that there is lots
of regions working together to support language.
He cautioned us to not create maps of the brain to where this chunk does this
and that.
The man with a shattered world. By oliver sacks

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Locked in syndrome:  Severe brain stem damage, completely conscious but you can’t move anything except your eyes.  Improving athletic performance: maybe mental practice and visualizing that you can do something can improve performance.  Its often the case that there is sudden decline with age that affects memory. This is normal products of aging.  Learning how to speed people along. Some ppl have a better memory that somebody else. But what about the people that are struggling, maybe we can build things that can help with these. Cognitive psyc:  3 steps for psyc: o Absorning: taking info in o Processing: recognize objects and use mental computations to make decisions o Responding: make a decision and take a course of action  The big challenge: o Stimulus to brain. Brian to response Method of inquiry:  Introspection looks inside ourselves. Active process to try to understand how a mental process happens.  What’s that cascade of events that happened that allows this to occur.  Limitions: o difficult to verify someone else’s report o not always aware o end product of the process and not only the process itself.  Another way to look at this is behaviorism. Studying the mind is hard, what we can study is the stimulus and response that occurs. The reaction is what is important, but not the middle process.  The mind is unobservable  Behaviors can account for creativity and the learning of language.  Limiting science to only the observable is a bad idea. Its important to look at people’s behavior but not thinking about the middle step is not good.  Cognativism o The brain is the hardware and the mind is the software. o Input(sensory) o Processes (computations) o Output  Cybernetics: the idea of creating a neural network to understand a system. It tries to capture how the mind works. It’s a computer model that captures the complexity of how we process the information.  Theory of comutation: when involves with computers, can take a big math problem and solve it within seconds.  SNARC- artificial neural network: Current approach:  All these mental processes, how are they happening in the brain, how are different regions hooked up and how they talk to each other. – physiology In search of the mind:  First thought that the heart gives rise to the mind. This was obviously wrong. It seems to be the brain.  When ppl damage different parts of the brain, different problems came about. He made a link looking at a brain injury.  Descartes: o His approach was through rationalism. o Reflexes: important for neurological and motor health. For a reflex in the knee, the signal goes from knee to spine to knee. With reflexes, you don’t need the pain. The brain can put the brake on reflexes. o Disconnecting brain from spine, the reflex is stronger. Descartes was wrong o The idea of dualism: the relationship between the brain and the mind. o Monoism: the brain gives rise to the mind, what the brain does is what the mind is.  The pineal gland: tiny gland in the brain, the only place in the brain that isn’t on both sides. Important for the day night cycle. Hoe Is the brain organized:  Materialism: o Same as monoism: the entire brain works together and there is no specialization. o Gall: phrenology  Felt the skull and thought that if certain brain regions are more developed, then its more specialized that the others.  Localization of function: one way to study how the different parts of the brain is functioning is by seeing the change after that part is injured.  The father of neuropsychology is ALEXANDER LURIA  he thought of networks. A better way of thinking abut thins is that there is lots of regions working together to support language.  He cautioned us to not create maps of the brain to where this chunk does this and that.  The man with a shattered world. By oliver sacks Paul Broca:  Tom’s brain had a lesion to the left frontal lobe. Carl Wernicke  Speak but could not understand  Hm a boy that had cronic seizures that resulted in medical issues. The seizures were so severe that he couldn’t function. Removed the hippocampus, could not create new memories- anterograde amnesia.  The hippocampus plays a role in the medial temporal lobe.  The corpus callosum is what co
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit