PSYC 361 Lecture 18: lecture18

2 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 361
Professor
Catharine Winstanley

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Deprivation effects Incentive motivational view: deprivation enhances incentive value rather than energising behaviour Tolman (1948): only hungry animals show latent learning - if sated, the food has no incentive value Alliesthesia: hunger makes food a better incentive, thirst makes water a better incentive. Reflects the palatability of the US Alliesthesia Can develop both positive and negative alliesthesia eg. Negative alliesthesia develops towards hot water when dehydrated from being in a hot environment, where positive alliesthesia develops toward cold or flavoured water Goal -directed behaviour and neural representations Behaviour is more sophisticated and flexible than S-R learning would allow Declarative memories include representations of the food and of how nice it is S-R habit learning relies on procedural memories ie. Memory for the motor program that has been strenghtened via associations with the reward Goal-directed behaviour and incentive value Incentive learning = willingness to work for it Hedonic value = liking something, related to something thats pleasant One condition - food injected with LiCl other condition - normal food Put back into box to test for extinction In both conditions rats perform the same Then introduce normal pellets Conditioned who were exposed to bad food pressed lever less Similar effects with satiety. o Animals trained to press lever for sugar pellets when food deprived o One group is then fed to satiety, the other is still food-deprived o In extinction, both groups respond the same amount on the lever o Animals are then presented with sugar pellets in the reexposure phase: either when food deprived or sated o Animals that are sated keep on working because they were deprived during the exposure phase Two value-processing systems Hedonic value system encodes changes in how much animals like the food Instrumental incentive value is how much the animal is willing to work for the reward o Reflects how much the animal WANTS the reward o Animals have to learn through experience that a change in the hedonic value of the food changes its incentive value. Active process, happens over time. No change in behaviour if there is a change in hunger state, still press lever regardless Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer Pavlovian conditioned stimuli can modulate instrumental performance If CS+ is presented whilst rat is pressing lever associated with food, rate of lever-pressing increases Turning on a condition stimulus thats associated with food will invigorate its food seeking behaviour and make more responses. CRf vs PIT Conditioned reinforcement vs Pavlovian-instrumental
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit