Religions of the World November 26.docx

4 Pages

Department
Religious Studies
Course Code
RELG 101
Professor
Rumee Ahmed

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Description
Religions of the World November 26, 2012  • Every person has intrinsic worth o Have the ability to be individually happy  • American Pragmatism (look to action first to explain behaviour) o Attitudes follow behaviour  o World War I  • Descartes: how do we know if we really exist? o How do you know that you aren’t dreaming?  o Dream only works if you’re not conscious about it o “I think, therefore, I am.” Because you have consciousness, you exist  Therefore have worth o I don’t know that you exist, or exist in the way that I exist   Inherently violent – you put yourself first   Creates inequality  • James’ Bear o Come across a bear, and you run and you are scared.  Do you run because  you’re scared? Or are you scared because you run? o Action precedes the emotion that comes with it o Crying because you are sad, sad because you are crying. o Some experience that elicits that you put an emotion onto  Physiological reaction  o Out understanding of ourselves happens after the fact of some physical  response   Most foundational experience that you can have o As soon as you try to explain it, you have missed religious experience o The closest that you can come to the moment it when people aren’t  thinking about it  Get a sense of human beings actions  o Move away from what do I think, to what do people do  React to religion, different stimuli  Started idea of PSYCHOLOGY • Teach us how individuals behave • Dewey’s Humanism o Way that we today go to school   Thoughts on education  If attitudes follow behaviour, school should not be somewhere  where someone teaches you values • Humans learn through interaction o Religion should be taught in schools in such way that it leads to action o Social Gospel: is good as the good that you can do with it  • Piece’s Neglected Argument o Theory: pragmatism is right, study humans religion, activities  Look at the way people act, clue into habits of mind o Have to get past idea that religious thought is a scientific thing  Metaphysical idea that describes how we do everything  Belief is part of everything that we do  We don’t actually know anything • Delude ourselves into thinking that • We believe things o To the extend that they remove your doubt o  Some reason to doubt, have to resolve it so you  could believe again  o No reason to be sure that the bathroom was going to  be there – chances are you didn’t think about it o Habit of mind based on a belief that you have  Some people have stronger beliefs and weaker beliefs • Lead to certain actions  Concepts that we think about (chair, room, God) • Try to capture them in language  Everything has an indeterminacy about it • Certain religious people understand that we don’t know  everything o Highly influential: We are all in some level, somewhere in between  knowing and not knowing  Live lives in liminal space  How do you make judgements about right and wrong o What matters is that we do things, we don’t do them alone, conceptualize  them with others • Shift from individual centre where we know our existence, reality, things that  make us  ▯don’t know anything with certainty and we’re not conscious of things o Most of the times we are not conscious  Until you have to reflect on it o Reflection and consciousness is the exception, not the rule
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit