Religious Studies
Course
RELG 205
Professor
Antone Minard
Semester
Fall

Description
Religion 205 March 5, 2013  • Religion were theologically controlled from the top down o From Constantine to the Reformation • After the Reformation, any two people can form a church – and people do • Schisms over minor points of doctrine • What we see through history (elite, male­thinkers at the forefront of this group) o There is truly much diversity • High and low religions (vernacular etc.) Final Exam • Like the midterm • Open book • 6 questions, but more time to answer them (2.5 hours) Major groups of Christianity • I: Pre­Constantine • II: Pre­Luther • III: Pre­WWI • IV: Post­WWI Subjects • Humanities o Philosophy o History o Linguistics  • Social Sciences o Anthropology o Sociology o Geography Christianity’s relationship to Science • “Scientists aren’t putting their efforts towards religion” • Before WWI, what was science doing for religion? o How were scientists who were religious actively engaging with religion?  There was an antagonistic relationship  Attempts to try and bring them together, so they don’t conflict with each  other • Birth of rationalizing the Bible o Biblical archaeology  “Prove” the bible with science Religion and the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences • Arts: opera  ▯religious subject matter, what kind of Christianity?  o Historical event from Catholic tradition o In paintings from all of history, hard to get away from Christian symbolism in art  (i.e. Cross) o Direct and indirect representation of text in arts  Has a particular slant o 2012  ▯end of the wo
More Less

Related notes for RELG 205

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit