October 15, 2012
- What is culture?
- ''The ways of thinking, ways of acting and material objects that forma people's way
- e.g. Knowledge, beliefs, art, morals, law, custom
- People interacting with each other & things in constrained, meaningful ways
- University learning
o What things are here?
o How are they arranged?
o What rules are we following?
o What will happen if we break them?
o What possibilities are opened up by this system?
o What possibilities are foreclosed?
Cultural transmission occurs through:
- Material culture
o (things: objects, commodities, architecture)
- Non-material culture
o (symbols, language, values and beliefs, norms, ideal and real culture)
- Anything carrying particular meaning - recognized by people sharing culture
- Meanings can vary:-
o Cross culturally
o Within single society & over time
- System of symbols
- Key to cultural transmission
- Language as key unlocking centuries of accumulated wisdom
- People perceive w