Oct 7, 2012 soci notes
''The war against this enemy is more than a military conflict. It is the decisive ideological struggle of the 2
1st century, and the calling of our generation.''
- George W. Bush (5th anniversary of 9/11)
- Various element of cultural system work together
- ''War on Terror'' + Patriot Act + decrease civil liberties
India's Sacred Cow - Marvin Harris
- Highlights what aspect of cultural ignorance?
Looking through the lenses of our own values to view other cultures
- Who does Marvin Harris argue is guilty of being ethnocentric?
o Western-trained agronomists
- Why is defining cows as sacred necessary for human survival in India?
- What evidence does Harris use to support his argument?
Practical reasons: Economic/Agricultural
- Cow love is an active element in a complex, finely articulated material & cultural order.
- 'A farmer who owns a cow owns a factory for making oxen'
- Dung used for:
o Fire fuel
o Line the floors
o Children would collect dung and trade it as a commodity
- 1960s: when Western-trained agronomists first came and introduced modern technology to India
and its farms
- 'The Green Revolution