Nov 13, 2012
The Mass Media
- Print: newspapers books, magazines
- Telecommunications: fax machine, telephone
- Broadcast technologies: radio, tv, cable tv, film
- Domestic electronic devices: video games, CD players
- Digital means of communication: computer networks such as Internet
Timeline of Media Technologies
1966: Satellite Communication
1989: World Wide Web
1990s: Wireless Net
2000s: Mobile Computing
**These all have implications for time & space
- "annihilation of space by time"
Our lives are increasingly "mediated"
Perspectives on Media Transformation:
Technological Change & Information Society
- Daniel Belt: "The Coming of the Postindustrial Society"
- Information technologies so important, (machines that transfer, process, store,
- Create new kind of society
- "Postindustrial society" became "Information Society"
- With advance of