The Body Beautiful: Adolescent Girls and Images of Beauty
- Beverly Matthews
Social world of adolescent girls
- Role social world plays defining physical selves
"The tyranny of appearance norms"
- Author challenges belief that women uncritically or helplessly follow
cultural ideals around beauty
- This straining to get the "ideal look" is often a purposeful act
Striving to "look good" -- to achieve social goals
- Not blinding conforming, nor necessarily low self-esteem
- Used to achieve social status & power
- Conform to avoid costs associated with deviating from ideal
3 Levels of Gender System
- Individual gender role orientation
o How you position yourself
- Micro structure
- Macro structure
Why Adolescence is important
- Identity construction
- Can't rely on borrowed identity from childhood
- Importance of peers -- "peer arena"
o Micro world where identity is constructed
- "Imaginary audience"
o Sensitive to judgments of