Sociology (749)
SOCI 100 (164)

When the Levees Broke notes

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
SOCI 100
Debra Pentecost

Jan 21, 2013 When the Levees Broke (documentary) - "Collective will" - foresight that is implemented by gov't to prevent disaster - How is Hurricane Katrina a political disaster over a natural disaster? o Look for political decisions (or lack thereof) affecting the situation (such as the mandatory evacuation being implemented but many in the city do not have a means to leave) - Mayor hesitant about declaring mandatory evacuation because businesses relying on tourism would suffer - If you could withstand a hurricane, you were tough (in historical standards) o I.e. “I survived the last hurricane and I can survive the next” - Many people had no means of transportation so people went to the Superdome (built to withstand a level 3 hurricane; Katrina was a level 5) o Also many homeless - Flood in 1965: dynamite was used to flood the poorer parts of New Orleans to protect the wealthier parts from the flood o Many people in the Lower 9th Ward believed they were dynamited during Katrina too - Hurricane Pam (a computer simulated level 5 hurricane hitting New Orleans) and its research was ignored by officials (Research done by FEMA) o They knew that 130,000 people who did not have means for transportation - No plan in general:
More Less

Related notes for SOCI 100

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.