Sociology (749)
SOCI 201 (30)

201 notes march 19.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
SOCI 201
David Ryniker

Unionist govt in Belfast takes a heavy handed approach - Increase RUC powers to detain w/o charge - Internment becomes a “way of life” for many catholic men th Jan 30 1972: - Catholic civil rights march in derry - BLOODY SUNDAY Transnationalism - Violence escalates between catholic and protestant, including bombings and riots - March 1972 london suspends home rule in N.I and begins direct rule - ‘THE TROUBLES’ usually regarded as beginning at this point NEW BEGINNINGS ANGLO-IRISH AGREEMENT - 1985 hillborough accord - Protestants lost control. Not happy - Bypasses Belfast and irish act of 1949 - grants Dublin a “consultative role” in the resolution of N.I situation - protestants regard this as betrayal - London refuses to back down - Violence continues from all sides THE END IN SIGHT ceasefires - August 1994 OIRA and Provos announces a unilateral ceasefire (under pressure from US politicians who threaten to interdict shipments of arms and money) - Oct 1994 protestant paramilitary group bombs Sin Fein HQ - Main protestant paramilitaries join ceasefire on October 13 th GOOD FRIDAY ACCORDS 1998 - Chief negotiator is a former US senator Geor
More Less

Related notes for SOCI 201

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.