Summer 2013

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOCI 350
Professor
Bonar Buffam
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
May, 27th 05/27/2013
Suicide and Solidarity
1. Mechanical solidarity
pre-industrial societies
people are bound together by virtue of feeling and doing the same thing
relative homogeneity to societies bound together by mechanical solidarity
otypically share some sort of collective conscience
2. Industrialized France
alternating phases of order or disorder
sees a disorder wrought by processes of modernization (talked about my Marx and Weber)
secularization eroding the force of traditional moral codes
urbanization, bringing people together at an unprecedented scale
high rates of suicide
3. Organic Solidarity
when morality catches up with changing modes of production
each member of society will be interdependent on one another
solidarity will not be a function of everyone doing and believing the same thing, but rather from cultivating
individual differences
each person is doing their part for the good of the whole
ideally, has an appropriately moderate amounts of moral regulation and social integration
moral codes cannot keep up with changing modes of production
prevailing morality will catch up with the changing modes of production
task of sociology is to properly diagnose and cure different illness, impediments, or obstructions that
are symptomatic of moral breakdown
Social Types of Suicide
Anomic Suicide [(-) moral regulation]
Industrialized France
Little moral regulation
People are unsure what’s expected of them in the prevailing social order
Most intense in times of social and political change
Egoistic Suicide [(-) social integration]
Caused by excessive individualism
Society lack integration of people into the prevailing social order
Altruistic Suicide [(+) social integration]
Caused by excessive integration of people into the collective
Fatalistic Suicide [(+) moral regulation]
Higher rates of suicide because there are excessive amounts of moral regulation
Commit suicide in their lack of freedom
Slavery, concentration camps
Cannot think of suicide as an individual act
Looking at trends of suicide, we see that suicide is in fact a social phenomenon
Rates of suicide exhibits specific patterns that should lead us to believe that suicide is part of a social
factual order unto itself
Sui Generis
Suicide rates are highest when individuals lack moral regulation, or social integration
Suicide rates are a function of people’s social integration into emerging forms of solidarity
In industrialized France
Protestants are more likely to commit suicide than Catholics
Women more than men
Single more than married
Social Facts

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
May, 27th 05/27/2013 Suicide and Solidarity 1. Mechanical solidarity pre­industrial societies people are bound together by virtue of feeling and doing the same thing relative homogeneity to societies bound together by mechanical solidarity o typically share some sort of collective conscience 2. Industrialized France alternating phases of order or disorder  sees a disorder wrought by processes of modernization (talked about my Marx and Weber) secularization eroding the force of traditional moral codes urbanization, bringing people together at an unprecedented scale high rates of suicide 3. Organic Solidarity when morality catches up with changing modes of production each member of society will be interdependent on one another solidarity will not be a function of everyone doing and believing the same thing, but rather from cultivating  individual differences • each person is doing their part for the good of the whole • ideally, has an appropriately moderate amounts of moral regulation and social integration • moral codes cannot keep up with changing modes of production • prevailing morality will catch up with the changing modes of production • task of sociology is to properly diagnose and cure different illness, impediments, or obstructions that  are symptomatic of moral breakdown Social Types of Suicide Anomic Suicide [(­) moral regulation] Industrialized France Little moral regulation People are unsure what’s expected of them in the prevailing social order Most intense in times of social and political change Egoistic Suicide [(­) social integration] Caused by excessive individualism Society lack integration of people into the prevailing social order Altruistic Suicide [(+) social integration] Caused by excessive integration of people into the collective Fatalistic Suicide [(+) moral regulation] Higher rates of suicide because there are excessive amounts of moral regulation Commit suicide in 
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit