SOCI 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: We Day, Kim Kardashian, Mass Media

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOCI 100
Professor
Debra Mc Ilwraith
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
NEWSPAPER ASSIGNMENT: Mass Media
The first two articles deal with sexual material in newspapers. The idea of being dressed
modestly seems to have been rapidly changing in the past few years. Something that I attribute
greatly to that is the prevalence of sexuality being portrayed in our media. Women in mass
media today are, much too often, portrayed in a sexual manner. It is especially common with
celebrities. In the first article, it is discussing the inappropriateness of Jennifer Lopez’s outfit.
People claiming it was too inappropriate to be wearing in an audience comprising of young,
impressionable youth. What I found interesting is that, the topic of this debate is it being too
inappropriate for people to see, but this article is clearly displaying the outfit that she wore, in a
sexual manner. The controversy was mainly based around not about the fact that her
performance was overtly sexual as well as her outfit but that she performed this during WE day
conference, a conference about empowering youth. Which is not the best message to send to
young girls about objectifying themselves. The article with Kim Kardashian is also one of
objectifying herself. This paper is also distributed widely, to anyone. This image could be
considered inappropriate, especially for young, impressionable children. Mass media has taken
these images and spread them around like wildfire, the simply objectifying of a person is not
new in anyway. What surprised me was print media being completely okay with publishing this
picture simply censoring out a tiny portion of her body. It goes to show how jaded our society
has become to images of sexual nature. The concept of modesty has changed, this is a result of
constant objectifying of women in media that has continued to progress leading to these images
being publicly accessible to the public.
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version