Women's and Gender Studies
Course
WMST 101
Professor
Almas Zakiuddin
Semester
Fall

Description
WMST 101: 11 SEPT. 2012 Background to Main Arguments  It was claimed by early Western feminists that sexism is the root of all oppressions  Origins of Western feminism  European Enlightenment thought, positivism, dualism, sexism  Feminist movement assumed all women same experience as Western women “You Can’t Theorize Breakfast” (Sacks p.116)  Grim image of life in 21 Century  Women’s bodies, voices, histories  Ground realities: experience in Honduras  “I don’t care what you call it. I just want to feed my babies and maybe someday shit in my toilet” (p.116)  Academic knowledge has limits  Need to know ourselves better  Answer is messy and fluid “Paradigms of Domination” (Hooks, p.110)  Hooks discusses  Structural forces  Power relations  Patriarchal system  Exclusive focus on gender is wrong  All women do not have the same experience  She suggests we examine interlocking oppressions of gender, class, race, and other differences  Gender is primary oppression but not because it is the origin of all oppressions Sexism is Primary Oppression  Because sexism is most common of all oppressions  It is rooted in earliest relationships of power: parent-child  Dominating but also caring relationships  Emerges in intimate spaces of family life  Becomes normative  When we face outside world’s oppressions we are weaker if we have been oppressed inside our homes But Sexism Must Not Be Privileged  It must not be seen as the only oppression or even the root of oppressions  We can’t assume that if sexism is resolved, everything else will be fixed automatically  Power relations sustain all forms of oppression  Patriarchy connects with and sustains raci
More Less

Related notes for WMST 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit