Motivation - Lecture 8
What is Motivation?
- The energetic forces that initiates work-related effort and determines its direction, intensity,
Motivation determines the…
Motivation affects job performance and organization commitment.
How do you motivate an employee?
- Time off
- Job security
- Reduce pay Goal Setting Theory
- the primary drivers of intensity and persistence of effort
Speciﬁc and Difﬁcult Goals
- result in higher levels of performance
Goal Difﬁculty and Task Performance
How difﬁcult should the task be?
Employees perceive what they get (outcomes) in relation to what they put in (inputs) and then
compare their I/O ratios of relevant others.
- Any resemblance in ratios triggers equity distress
Equity Distress: an internal tension that can only be alleviated by restoring balance to the ratios
“It is my motivation to change the imbalance”. Three Possible Outcomes of Equity Theory Comparisons