Cyborg Anthropology: We are all Cyborgs now?
- Is a framework for understanding the effects of objects and technology on
humans and culture
- Takes the view that most of modern human life is a product of both human
and non-human object
The Mental Cyborg: Digital Memory & Digital Identity
- Digital prosthetic memory
- Physical, prosthetic forms of memory
- Cloud computing
- Technology becomes an extension of ourselves
- One is what one does. Action does not represent an identity; instead; it
Our identities online are performed through:
- Profile pictures
- Short self-descriptions etc.
Is Google making us Stupid?
- Intellectual technologies – the tools that extend our mental rather than our
physical capacities – we inevitably begin to take on the qualities of those
- Mechanical clock
o Disassociated time from human events
The Digital & Human Relationships
- “Ambient awareness” It is very much like being physically near someone and
picking up on their mood through the little things they do – body language,
sighs, stray comments – out of the corner of your eye