APA 3123 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Trans-Cultural Diffusion, Pierre Bourdieu
SchoolUniversity of Ottawa
Course CodeAPA 3123
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
December 2, 2014
International Ice Hockey
Hockey: an International Game?
- players are registered from countries all over the world
- hockey exists globally
- youth hockey and emerging professional leagues
What Were the Implications of Growth?
oincreased pro)les translates into increased sponsorship at
local, national, and international sporting events
omanufactures will tap into new areas to sell products
across age, gender, and skill
- game changes?
ochange in rules
ochange in look
alter visual platform to enable great television
What are Barriers to Growth?
ocosts of running arenas even in more disadvantaged
regions in Canada is a problem
oareas with warmer climates & less resources means
building hockey rinks in unfathomable
- culture of the sport
ohow does the sport work within speci)c cultural contexts
Areas for Critical Inquiry
- sport and cultural di.usion
oassimilate people into white society by hockey
- when cultures take up sport are they also taking up the culture
form which it derives?
- can see soccer all over the world because of British expansion
- empires go and bring their sports with them through expansion
- in taking up sport, cultures embody the values and
characteristics of those who created the sports
- Pierre Bourdieu: French sociologist
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version