Conflict – November 25
Express Struggle: both people have to know that a problem exists for it to be defined as conflict
– if you're mad at your roommate and she has no idea because you act like everything is fine...Not
What is conflict? An expressed struggle that inevitably occurs between at least two independent
people who perceive:
– incompatible goals
– scarce rewards
– interference from the other person in achieving their goals
Conflict is inevitable: all relationships are characterized by conflict.
– knowing how to deal with conflict effectively can make the difference between it being
unproductive or productive
– according to Margaret Heffernan, conflict can enable people to do their very best thinking
– find someone who is different, from a different discipline, with different traits in order to
accomplish a mean.
– People are afraid of conflict, but conflict can sometimes lead to advancement.
Perceived Incompatible Goals:
– often it looks like one person has to lose something for the other to get their goal met
– there is one way to get conflict resolved, but also other ways