ADVERTISINGAND SOCIETY – FEBRUARY 7
CHAPTER 3 CONT’D
p. 93 – 111
- Media follows values
(providing advertising depending on groups of people)
• Eg. TSN will have different advertising than TLC
- MTV – Example of blurring
Content becomes an ad.
Eg. ET – first movie where there was product placement.
Changes the way musicians write
Visual integration fixes the meaning for audience (overstated)
Book views as negative, taking away interpretive power.
Rather, not enough connection between the two.
• Too much analysis of one or the other, not so much together.
• Cinematography – complex. More ambiguous.
`1980`s ultimate triumph’
- Exchange value vs use value – not as important.
- Network programming and mediocrity
Pop culture – mediocre.