ADVERTISING & SOCIETY - JANUARY 21
- Corporations have access to our spending habits via our digital cash expenditure.
Key difference to cash spending and digital cash spending is the trail/trace.
Spending habits can demonstrate things like political views, sexual orientation, even
- Before, capitalism was about production.
- Now, it is about the consumption of digital mass media.
Consumption of the ‘code’results in oppression. (Code is modicum of control – eg. Bible,
Civilization seeks to control the “code of meaning”.
“Code” = consumption process, mass media.
• Monopoly of the code, creates potential social reality with no tiebacks to the
- Similar to Nietzsche (“God is dead.”)
Capitalism was a progressive growth (not unlike Christianity). Slow rise to power.
- “Structured simulation of reality” – interpret as “Meaning is dead.”
Led to rise to corporate media (altered images by corporations).
Vast steam of unreal images in media
Commentary to commentary, reference to reference – comes full circle, eventually
leads to reference to self. Circular nature of consumption and perception.
World of real recedes, as hyperreal of media takes over.
• True perception vs. perception through hyper real lenses. (Perception
moulded by the corporations).
• Loss of reality via immersion of commercial reality.
• Loss of autonomous meaning = surrender to the code.
- Mass patterns of consumption, belief, behaviour.
Suggests limits to autonomy, surrender to the code.
Challenge to individual sovereignty.
Asks to manifest individuality via consumption/groups.