Theory of Court Culture
T.W Church (1982 &1985)
- Informal attitudes, practices and relationships shared by all members of the
local legal community withun the court
Leverick and Duff
- Passive (culture in some courts) -proactive (culture in some) typology
Proactive court: The better one
Attitude and views- need to minimize custody
Practices and incentives
- Everyone is ready on the first appearance to proceed.
- Out of court discussion is common.
- Wouldn’t adjourn cases for the purpose of having a counsel