CRM 2307 B Women, Justice and Victimization
Underlying themes of this course:
1) Diversity of women and their experience (race, ethnicity, class, sexual orientation)
within Canada and internationally
2) Debates/divisions within feminism
3) Foregrounding the voice of experience
4) Context of women experience
5) Gender based violence occurs outside of the private sphere
• A movement for social, cultural, political and economic equality of men and
women; a campaign against gender inequalities
o Not static
o Conflicting positions
o Diversity of feminisms
• What feminism offers criminology (it attends to women)/what criminology offers
feminism (criminal analysis of the state)
Video excerpts: From Fear to Freedom: Ending Violence Against Women
o What kinds of violence are highlighted in the video?
o What explanations are offered for the violence?
o How do women (and men) seek to address the problem of violence against women?
o Do you have any problems with this behaviour?
• Honour killing the homicide of a member of a family or social group by other
members, due to the belief of the perpetrators that the victim has brought dishonour or
shame upon the family or community. (5 thousand women a year are subject, however the
accurate number is presumed to be significantly higher)
• Human trafficking the trade in humans, most commonly for the purpose of