For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
What is a Crime?
What do criminologists do?
- Criminology is the body of knowledge regarding crime as a social phenomenon.
It includes… the processes of making laws, breaking laws, and of reacting to the
breaking of laws… the objective of criminology is the development of a body of
general and verified principles and other types of knowledge regarding this
process of law, crime and treatment. – Sutherland and Cressey 1960.
Studies criminal behavior
- Causes, patterns, control of
Uses methods of established social science
- Records, experiments, surveys, historical data, content analysis
- Sociology, criminal justice, psychology, political science,
anthropology, economic, the natural sciences
- Create valid and reliable measures of crime.
SOCOLOGY OF LAW
- History of law, law reform
- Predicting criminal behaviour
CRIMINAL BEHAVIOUR SYSTEMS
- Determining the nature and cause of specific crime patterns
- Correction and control of criminal behaviour
- Nature and cause of victimization
*Crime is most prevalent in poverty. *
Criminal Justice System
Study involves describing, analyzing and explaining the agencies of justice