GEO 1111 : Lecture 8 – Earth Structures and Earthquakes
1) What is strain? What causes strain?
2) How are joints and faults different?
3) (L) and (R) waves are what types of seismic waves? What is the difference between
these two? Which is more likely to topple Parliament?
4) 90% of earthquakes occur at less than 100 km depth. Why?
5) In an area that might have tsunamis, would it be more dangerous to live near a coastal
region with shallow coastal waters or deeper coastal waters (provided you want to live in
an area where tsunamis are a hazar d)? Why?
6) Which best contributes to ductile deformation of rock?
a) High pressure and low temperatures
b) High confining pressure and low temperatures
c) High temperature and high extensional forces
d) Low tempera