PHI 1104 – Study Questions
1. Why do you think Socrates is found guilty?
- Was a close vote; also more people voted for the death sentence than guilty sentence
- Only called the jurymen who voted to acquit him “jurymen”
o Only acknowledges once he knows their decision (merit)
o Refers to others as “men of Athens” (equivalent to ‘you’)
- Was only able to defend himself by suggesting Meletus, etc. doesn’t know what they’re
talking about in regards to piety, by questioning authority and saying the Athenians don’t
care/don’t know how to care
o Making the weaker argument the stronger
- To give the defence that would acquit him would mean to accept the Athenian’s ideas of
piety, of good, etc.
o Doesn’t believe it’s believing in the gods of the city, but questioning
o Gives his defence based on him rejecting those beliefs
2. Why does Socrates propose such a ridiculous penalty?
- Proposal: deserves free meals at the sta