De sc arte s
- Descartesput theory of knowledgeatthecentreof philosophy.
- “What canwe know [with certainty]” according to Descartesis thevery beginning of
- Descartesconception of dualism –hisdualist philosophy is put atthebeginning of his
philosophy…heputsit in suchaway that hemakestheoutcomeof hisphilosophy almost
irresistible becausewe seemto think naturally that we areableto for exampleimagineourselves
in adifferent body.
- It seemsthat peopleareableto not only imaginehaving adifferent body, but looking in the
mirror in themorning andseeing adifferent faceandnot being surprised[of course,you would
haveto work upto this]
- Williamsis asort of materialist, hedoesn’t believe that thereare2 substances…hedoesnot
believein Descartesdualist philosophy
- Henotesthat Descartesphilosophy is irresistible but hefindsit hard to believethat heis
essentially amind…athing that things…becauseif that is what you essentially a