Confidentiality in Health Care
The Main Issue:
Are there any circumstances in whirdit is permissible for HC providers to disclose
information about a patient to 3 parties without the patient’s consent?
If so, when is it permissible?
Two Common Mistakes about Confidentiality:
Overestimating the strength of the obligation to maintain confidentiality
Underestimating the strength of the obligation to maintain confidentiality
Edward’s “justifications” of confidentiality:
1) Protect the privacy of the patient. There is certain information about everyone that
we don’t want people to know.
2) Protect the social status of the patient
3) Protect the economic interests of the patient
4) Promote doctorpatient communication
5) Encourage people to seek medical help
6) Promote trust between physician and patient
7) Protect the autonomy of the patient
Tacit Promise of Confidentiality:
The relationship between HC provider and patient involves