January 7: Plato
1. 2 midterm: March 17, 2011
2. Recap: Key doctrines of Plato: Moral realism, perfectionism, denigration of politics and
political process, micro-macro strong analogy, holism, value of harmony
3. Challenge to Socrates: Justice (morality) instrumentally good, intrinsically good, or both?
Conflates (1): Is justice/morality good in itself – to be followed for its own sake?
(2) Is justice/morality to the advantage (i.e. good for) the person who follows it?
4. Moral scepticism, “constructivism”, game theory, prudential reasoning, prisoner’s dilemmas
4.1 Classic PD: