Feb. 4, 2014
Locke on Property
• Right-based argument – all rights imply correlative duties on other than the right-holder
not to infringe/violate/obstruct the relevant interest.
• Appropriation in commons: mixing labor
• I own myself (my body). Therefore, I own my labor. Therefore, I own whatever I mix
my labor with.
• I also own whatever is given to me consensually by a rightful owner (consensual transfer)
Justification of Enclosure of the Commons
Lockean proviso: must leave enough and as good for others.
• Plausible arguable stems from effort-based claim
But other elements: need and improvement (uti