PHI 2397 Lecture 20
Arguments for and against Affirmative Action/Employment Equity
o Necessary as corrective. "break the cycle"
o Diversity of perspectives/attitudes
o Role models for next generation
o Unequal opportunity if unjust
o Current non-minority perhaps not re sponsible for past discrimination
o Less forms/strategies may be "slippery slope"
o AA/EE should be remedial, non -permanent
• "Social science studies have shown that people attribute a wide range of positive characteristics t o those who they
find physically attractive."
o "Physical appearance can wrap the functioning of ordinarily "objective" evaluations of individuals' work."
• To eliminate, perhaps
• Telephone interviews, not visual meetings
• More weight to documents
• Multiple deciders on legal challenges if hiring/promotion discriminates
o "Ultimately, as with the eradication of all forms if discriminating, people's attitude must change…"
Termination of Employment, Ontario Ministry of Labour
• Sources of employee/employe r rights
o Law/statutory rights - In Canada, some federal, some provincial
o Common Law - Established by courts in cases
o Contract with employers - Oral can count
• Individual contract, or collective/union contract
• Firing an employee
o In the US, often "employment at will" - not in Canada
• This means, someone can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all
• Unless it’s a government job, union, contract, persona contract
o In the Canada, there has to be reason
• Immediately, for "JUST cause"
§ There has to be a serious misconduct, wilful disobedience
• With a reasonable advanced notice
§ The amount of time depends on the job level, how the long the employee has been working for
the company, their age….
• A compensation is given instead of a reasonable notice
• The general moral ideas at basis of law
o Right to be treated reasonably, fairly, with due process
• As in Kant, in accord with principles
§ People are not more objects, means to other people's ends
o Aligns employment with democratic citizenship
• Arbitrary government is opposite of "rule of law"
• How not to wrongfully dismiss
A branch manage of a