• Notes on website
• In Canada, dealt w/ by constitution. Should it have been?
o It is a legal-political issue, in the way Can has tried to deal w/ it
o Appropriate? Muddled?
• Secession one portion of a country breaking away from the whole
• ’80 Queb. Referendum soundly rejected
• Meech Lake & Charlottetown meant to satiate Quebecois desires of autonomy, unique
• ’95 Quebec referendum
o What must the wording of the question of secession be, to which citizens are
answering yes or no? What kind of question should be asked if it carries such
o Question ended up being very long and convoluted
o Also question of how to decide what constitutes a majority
Should Queb independence be decided by 50% +1? Maybe a supermajority—2/3?
• Who should have vote? Seceding area or whole county?
o Canada took this issue to SCC. Reference Question—give us a legal opinion on
o Fed gov was concerned that ref question was unclear, did not define majority
• Unilateral secession—could a province, only through its internal decision, decide it does
not want to be a part of the larger country and thereby break away.
Money Canada put into Quebe