This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
-An ideology is a value or belief system that is socially constructed, possesses
considerable scope (number of positions in different issues), is formally articulated,
internally consistent and durable.
-It serves both as a normative framework for understanding politics and as a guide for
The Various Meanings of the Left-Right Continuum:
-More/Less Government Intervention
-Redistribution of Wealth/ Conservation of Wealth
Liberalism (British Origin)
Basic Tenets of Liberalism
1) Individuals are rational and self-interested
3) Limited and accountable government.
4) Equality of rights.
5) Free Market.
6) Separation of church and state (Secularism).
Classical (limited role of the state, negative freedoms) and Reform (more state
involvement, welfare and addition of positive freedoms) Liberalism
Basic tenets of Conservatism
2) Freedom as a potential danger.
3) Natural inequalities found among individuals must be recognized and accepted.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version