3 questions to help the teacher on Blackboard:
- How am I doing?
- What can the teacher do to improve?
- What can I do to improve?
POL 1102 G - Politics & Globalization - Mark Salter - 16 Feb. 26
• Tradition of giving a diamond ring was invented by the diamond company
- Example of an invented tradition
• Just like coffee, NGOs have beeing trying to combat the consumer part of the chain
• Canadian diamonds are called Ice Diamonds
- They’re seen as better as the miners for these diamonds aren’t treated as harshly as most
• Source countries for diamonds:
- South Africa, Angola, WestAfrica, DRCongo
• Diamonds fuel and fund wars in Africa
- not the reason for the wars, but enables them to occur
• Civil Wars
- Angola (UNITA)
- Sierra Leone (RUF)
- CentralAfrican Rep.
- Cote D’Ivoire
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- 20% global production
- 50% untraceable
- 25% of global production
• 1998 UN Security Council
• 2000 UN GeneralAssembly “Conflict diamonds”
- They defined diamonds as a commodity with a special label