POL 1102 G - Politics Globalization - Mark Salter - 19 Mar. 10.docx
University of Ottawa
POL 1102 G - Politics & Globalization - Mark Salter - 19 Mar. 10
- Inside with the police, outside with the military
- How a state deals with violence informs you on their legitimation of violence
Birth of the Police
• Came in around 18th Century
• Without the law and its enforcement, Hobbes said people would do anything they felt like,
which is bad
• What is the distinction between crime & security?
- an increasing # of phenomena may be dealt with by the use of force
- the line between crime & acts of war has been erased, as has that between criminal
offences and minor public order disturbances
Stop, or I’ll say Stop Again
• So who should prosecute terrorists?
- With lawyers and courts? Police (probable cause found)? The military (just kill them)?
- In the war of terrorism, the line between policing and military started being erased
• Crime vs. Act of War
- “The global battle against terrorism has become a matter for both police & military”
• Structures for the use of force
• Justifications & procedures
• Threat environment: “Muslim fundamentalism, poverty, the narcotics trade