January 13 , 2014 – Lecture 2
I Interpretative battles over Mach.
II Classifying principalities: key lessons (ch 111)
III (good laws) and Good armies (ch 1214)
IV Qualities of a good prince (ch 1521)
• Famous letter that Mach is comfortable with evil,
• Some say mach. Is a bad man and it’s too bad that he is read today
• Others say he is a wise man and did not like evil
• Others say he had qualms with his immorality, he is detached and cynical, cold
technician of politics, he liked to tell it how it is
• *don’t remember dates for midterms, just ideas
• his project: most of his great heroes come from the past.
• Machiavelli (page 77) tries to motivate Lorenzo to do something, see the
conditions in which Italy has been reduced.. more defensless than the Athenians
(referring to the great heroes)
• Niche: will ask you to choose culture over political greatness, Mach is not as
interested in that he wants you to choose political greatness
• Mach: Florence, Venice, Milan, Kingdom of Naples, Naples states. (5 main
players competing for power in Italy at the time)
• Example of 1414: 1494 Family of Milan invites the French to invade Italy,
hoping that Milan can gain control of Naples.
• Savonarola: convinced way too much wealth and corruption so launched
campaign: burnt a lot of art work (dirty books), burnt books, attacked the pope,
Alexander V1, therefore he didn’t stay in power very long (Savonarola) … Mach
says Savonarola’s biggest mistake is that he wasn’t armed and though he could do
it without an army.
• Soon after Savonarola falls, Mach enters the government of Florence which was a
true Republic, with a lot of people getting involved
• Mach: a state should rely on it’s own arms, it should have its own troops and rely
• Mach seems to think this is the time to do something great