PSY 1102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 22: Biomedicine, Determinism, Behaviour Therapy
94 views2 pages
For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
Friday, November 15th 2019
PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS CONTINUED
• Involves medication or surgery
• Link therapy to theorists like Freud, behaviourists and humanistic.
• Are individuals who step out of reality, do they have a psychological disorder?
• Some who have disorders are actually innovators.
• Binge vs. Hoarding
• We try to classify disorders as it helps with treatment.
• In historic times, treatment was to exterminate individuals as they were perceived to be
possessed with evil spirits.
• However, now, we should try to understand their view of reality.
• Some treatments such as biomedicine require a medical degree.
• Believed in causality – psychotherapy with psychoanalysis.
• Determinist view of the mind.
• Using tools to see what is occurring within the mind
• You are not progressing as an individual if you are stuck in a certain “stage”.
• Jung, Harvey.
• Patient must be speaking in order for analysis to occur.
• May resist because of feelings of unease because of speaking of what is happening
inside the mind.
• Free association: talk about what you want, no structure, it is fluid.
• Freud created the origin of the context of the dream.
• If you dream of something tonight, 85% of it will come from today, 10% yesterday, 5%
• Dreams are close to what Freud observed.
• We need to trust therapists and have a bond if we are going to have a Freudian analysis
• Transference: project feelings onto them, to help you work through your own.
• E.g. slides: 12-15 for what therapy may work best for you.
• Acknowledge the worth of the human being.