Module #1 Introduction to Research
What is Research?
- systematically, by the scientiﬁc study, a way of doing things. An endeavor, a process.
You can’t just do whatever you like.
- always use a database, don’t just google it.
- Speciﬁc Subject - the main ingredient
- “use of social media in the classroom” instead of “social media”
- Literature Review - second ingredient
- what do we know? & what we don’t know?
- like waiting to enter a conversation to know the people in it before you say
something; getting a gist of what they have already talked about and what they
want to talk about.
- You have to read it before using it.
- Research Question - third ingredient
- not just a question you ask, you have to make sure your question has not
already been asked and answered.
- don’t ask a question that leads or sounds like its leading to an opinion
- research is about facts and data; something that can be measured.
- Design and Strategy - fourth ingredient
- you need to have a plan
- Tools- ﬁfth ingredient
- interviews, observation, questionnaires, existing data
- Analysis - sixth ingredient
- Conclusion - seventh ingredient
- when you’re rea