How/ In what ways is Canadian identity constructed,and by whom?
- Canadian identity is hard to define because it is constantly constructed and negotiated
- We are all consumersof Canadian identity
What is Canadian?
Signs and Symbols ('texts')
○ Beer drinkers
○ Maple syrup
○ The beaver
○ Peace keeping
○ Tim Hortons
○ Saying "Eh?"
○ The mountains, Niagara Falls
(Molson Canadian beer commercial"The Rant"): references to nature, defining Canadian by
what its not
(CBC signoff): The national anthem "Oh, Canada" shots of different nature
Semiotics:the study of signs and symbols ('texts')
- "Reading" and "Diagnosing"
What texts mean and how
- Arbitrariness - depends on Interpreter
○ Context and multiple meanings - Ex: the mountain represents many things in different
- Hermeneutics:the science of interpretation
○ Deeper meaning of texts to make connections
○ How they acquire meaning and for what purpose?
How does Tim's coffee acquire meaning (Canadian)? - is it because of Canadian
How do governmentmonumentsand media represent Canadianness?
In what ways is Canadian Identity constructed,by whom, and for what purpose?
- Ambiguous despite "traits"
- Representationalstrategy: strategies of representation that privilege certain meanings
(Canadian is not being American)
○ Ex: Binary opposition - one is defined in reference of the other
- Representation:social production of meaning through signs and symbols
Example A: Government/ National level
Why? Unify, belongi