What is Culture Theory?
- Cultural Studies (Hall and Fiske, for e.g.)
What does "Anthropological Approaches" mean?
- Anthropology of media, anthropology of art; visual anthropology
• How do we use and make sense of PC? (popular culture) How do we create meaning? What
are the social purposes of PC?
• What ideas about society and culture are communicated,and how? (Ideas, ideologies, social
• Production --> Reception: power of media// agency of 'consumers' or audience
What is Popular culture? What is Culture?
Historically and contextuallysituated
Constructed and negotiated by society
What is Culture?
- Culture with "C" or (Kulture)
- A people's way of life; includes all spheres of life which are interconnected (holistic)
- "learned and shared ways of thinking and behaving"
- Culture is…
○ Behaviour, thoughts, and meanings -> symbols
○ Learned (not nature) and shared
○ Interact and change
○ It is not a thing, not homogeneous,not static, not homogenousbut changes through
- Adds: experiences of postmodern capitalist society, dominated by mass media
- Culture is "...the social production and reproduction of sense, meaning and consciousness. The
sphere of meaning which unifies the spheres of production [economics]and social relations
What is Popular Culture? - P.C. as "folk culture" [of the people]
- P.C. as "mass media" [prevalent]
- P.C. as consumption[measures popularity]
- P.C. in terms of everyday life [common]
Why study popular culture?