Remember that for the essay: find the anthropological angle on your
1 Article by Paula Eleta – “The Conquest of Magic over Public Space:
• magic is a manifestation and experience of something
• what evidence is there to the claim that magic spreading into
- there is a rising market for magic to begin with
- every newspaper has an “astrology” section
- there is a large market for “spells” ex – stones, liquids,
healing potions for magic
- magic has gone from being a “niche” marginal market to a
more normalized common idea?
• The rise of magic is a response to what aspects of change within
- the “Retraction of government programs” , this in turn has
created job instability and this therefor causes psychological
instability which further causes physical instability?
- The weakening of “national instability” in relation to Argentina
Paula asks: What are the key features of contemporary religious
Answer: one can FREELY choose whatever creed they decided to
follow. However paula says this is a double edged sword because
the idea of not having a compulsory religion to follow can cause a
psychological drift. When forced or when one is simply told to follow
a religion - you have less to worry about.
How is magic a ‘modern’ rather than ‘primitive’ practice?
- magic is practiced under conditions to where we have LEAST
- Paula proposes that magic is product of a more urban and
modern type of society. Modernity referring to: new roads,
cheap gasoline etc
Discuss the use of Argentina as a case study? How is it or is it not a
good example of magic in contemporary society Answer: - yes it is a place that went from a place of utopian place of
the 1960’s to a place militarian dictatorship very quickly.
What is Paula Eleta’s definition of magic?
Evolutionism within Magic, Religion and Science
- For a long time magic was the dominant belief and eventually
religion followed suit and then science did as well.
August Comte believed that physics would be the belief that
Herbert Spencer believed in unilateral progress. H