Lab Report of Absorption of Water experiment.(1)
R.Q.: What is the effect of water on dry fruits?
Hypothesis: If dry fruits are soaked in water then the weight of the dry fruits will be
heavier after an hour because of osmosis.
Independent Variables: The 3 variables are dry fruits which include 3 black raisins and 3
Dependant Variable: Weight of all 3 dry fruits after being soaked in water.
Constant Variable: Volume of water and constant variable would be 1 hour.
Apparatus and Materials: Dry fruits like dates, black raisins, water, measuring cylinder,
beaker and single pan weighing balance, stop clock.
1) Fill 100 ml of water in a beaker.
2) Weigh the weight of dry fruits.
3) Let the dry fruit remain in the beaker for 1 hour.
4) Take out the dry fruit and weigh the dry fruits.
5) Record the weight of the dry fruit and measure the amount of water remaining in
6) Perform steps 1-5 for the other two dry fruits.
Weight of dry fruits – W 1ms.
Weight of dry fruits after being soaked in water – W2gms.
Weight of water absorbed – W gms.
Weight of water taken – Vme.
Percentage of water absorbed = W/V x 100
Dry wt Amount of Vol. of H 2
Dry Fruit (gm) H 2 left absorbed Wet Wt. Diff. in Wt.
5.03 98 ml. 2 5.45 0.42
Brown Raisins 2.