BIO204 lecture September 12, 2013
- Strategy behind being diverse is to be more competitive for water and resources in the soil.
Plants that are highly competitive can survive long periods of drought.
- Idea behind these diverse roots is to compete in conditions with limited resources.
- Shade leaves: large, broad and thickness is different. Sun leaf: small
- Three primary tissue systems- protoderm, ground meristem, procambium
- Meristems: can develop into any type of tissue they want. Can perform mitosis and cell division,
result in new cells (increasing number of cells)
- Apical meristems: extend plant body. Protected by root cap. Protected by leaf primordial in
shoot.apical meristem in lateral bud is where the twigs develop. 3 different types of tissues that
develop from apical meristems
Protoderm: differentiates into the dermal tissue system. Surrounds the entire the root system.
Ground meristem: differentiates into ground tissue system.
Procambium: differentiates into vascular tissue system. Center of the root.
Youngest part of the root is the tip of the root.
Epidermal cells- secretes cuticle that protects plant from excessive water loss from epidermal
Gas exchange- release of water vapor, and oxygen. Intake of carbon dioxid