BIO205 Lecture 22
- Lecture 22: Conservation
- Species diversity is scale-dependent
- Harlequin frogs may be on their way out
o Fungus infections
- James Bond (Skyfall) picture
o When the villain is talking about how to eradicate rats
o Not so simple in real life as what was said in movie
- In the real world, that requires 22 tonnes of rat poison, at a cost of $1.8 million
o 17 hundred pirates introducing rats to different islands
o Rats feed on eggs
o Wherever you step, you’ll see a rat
o Want to wipe them off the face of the island
- What should we protect?
o Using genetic diversity to influence choice?
o Smaller or larger populations?
o Smaller organisms are usually in larger numbers so there might be biased towards
saving smaller organisms?
- We have to make choices
o Level of endangerment
o Susceptibility to extinction
Specialized habitat requirements
Certain foods (Panda eating bamboo)
o Importance of species, i.e. keystone species
- We need to protect populations
o Try to preserve a population
o In Canada, the bighorn sheep
o First thing to know is population size
- We can estimate how likely a population will persist into the future
o Looking at the current population size and determining how likely they’ll survive after
certain amount of years
- The M