BIO205 Lecture 2
- Lecture 2: What is ecology?
- Stella’s sea lion populations were impacted by fisheries
- What was ecology in the sea lion example?
- What is ecology to you?
o Study of interaction of organisms and ecosystems
o Relationships between environments
- Is ecology the same as environmentalism?
- Ecology is the study of the relationship between organisms and their environment
o The scale of the individual flower and its relation within the biosphere
When you go from an individual, it increases in scale as it goes towards
biosphere; depending on the organism you study, it’s a rough scale
However, for migrating species, it’s a little different
Also, the complexity increases as it goes from individual towards the biosphere
- Organisms are influenced by range of factors
o Temperature: flower might not grow if it goes to 0 degrees
Also moisture, disturbance, nutrients and toxins
Abiotic factors: factors that does not involve living things
o Competition: with other species