Friday, 24 January, 2014 11:03 AM
Today's Topics: Announcements: Homework:
Review for Midterm1 When submitting Midterm 1
assignments, put in the Assignment 1
marking TA dropbox (NOT
the lab TA dropbox)
Know the elementsin the periodic table:
1-88 minus the transition metals after the first row:
○ All alkali metals
○ All alkaline earth metals
○ First row of transition metals
○ Some post-transition metals
○ All metalloids
○ All non-metals
○ All halogens
○ All noble gases
Ionization energies increase in which direction? Why?
○ Successive ionization energies are higher and have a sudden jump. Why?
○ Why isn't there much of a change in energy in the transition metals?
○ Why is it an irregular increase in IE?
Atomic radii increase and decrease in which direction? Why?
○ How does it change when a neutral atom becomes a positive or negative
Componentsof the atom
How was the nucleus discovered?By whom?
○ Describe the experiment, the observationmade, and the inference from the
○ The experiment and results
How big is an atom? A proton? A neutron? A nucleus? How is the atom arranged?
Energy of wave, wavelength, frequency, wave number, speed of light
○ h, , f, n, c
○ v (new bar) is equal to 1/ - waves in 1 cm
Frequency and wavelength are related how?
What is the wave length region of the visible spectra?
How are wave length and energy of radiation related?
What happens to electronswhen they change orbits?
What is the hydrogen emissionspectrum?
○ How is light formed?
Where is the highest energy gap between orbitals? How does this energy ○ Where is the highest energy gap between orbitals? How does this energy
gap change between orbitals?
○ To what series does each gap belong to?
What are flame tests? What are they applied to? What is the principle?
What is the Rydberg equation? The Rydberg constant?
What is the photoelectriceffect? What is its related equation?
○ What are its postulates?
○ Equations are what? (don't need to know the derivations)
How does the energy change as the value of n increases?
de Broglie: wave-particleduality
○ What is the derivation of the equation?
○ Why are the waves of movementnot observed in larger objects?
Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle
○ What is the principle?
○ What is the equation